Thursday, October 19, 2006

Week of 10/16

A. It was cool this week, I finished my first article on classroom blogs and then set up a new blog on the News Herald's site. I've learned a little on how to form an article, what to include and what not to include. On my blog I wrote a entry on the dresscode and had a good amount of peole view and comment. I may be getting more out of this internship than I thought I could. I first started out thinking they were just going to have me run around and maybe write something here or there. I haven't had to run and get anything so far, but I did get to shadow the reporters. Tony took me out with them to Gulf Coast Community College to do a story on the segways that are now being used on the campus. Hopefully once I get more experienced with the reporting process I get to go on more assignments. As for the work habits of the people here at the News Herald, it's usually pretty chill there hasn't been any sense of urgency or anything that have been a big deal. I'm sure they have troubles, but they are well handled without any fuss.


2. Ask your supervisor/Director of Human resources about entry level positions that are available in the company an what academic traning or experience they are looking for in filling those postions. ask them for the top 10 things they are looking for in a prospective employee.

B. As far as entry levels go there are inserters and entry level reporting. You must be 18 years of age or older for any of the positions offered at the News Herald. The inserters are the people in the mailroom who put the advertisements in the paper and get it out in the mornings. The hours are crazy and there are no academic requirements for this position, only physical. The other entry level position that they offer would be the entry level reporter. For this position there are college graduate requirements. The only things that they look for in a prospective employee would be what most companies do look for: dependability, a good work ethic, and the ablibity to work in a team environment.


I found that I need to work on my note taking skills. All I do is type now so when it comes to having to write something down, it takes longer. lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home